Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Day 1: It All Begins Now



Yo Reader! So as promised I am indeed blogging it up again! I have to say I had a semi break down last night. I think after I posted my entry it all just hit me about being away from home for six weeks, missing my friends and family and being alone out here. Luckily I have the greatest parents in the world and they assured me (like they always do) that I’d be fine. Well Reader, I made it through my first (official) day and I can proudly say that I’m feeling much more confident.

Today was basically like an orientation for Bamfield. It was great because I basically didn’t know anything and they showed us where to go, what to do and when to do it. The whole day we were shown the ropes and had little to no free time. The people in charge of Bamfield seem like they’re really nice. There’s this lady Beth who runs the university program and she’s just amazing. She knows everyone’s name, goes out of her way to make us feel welcome and is actually an interesting person with so many stories to share.

Now Reader, I’m going to give props to anyone who does scuba diving/snorkeling on a regular basis. Wetsuits are probably the most ANNOYING contraptions on the face of the Earth. Today we got fitted for our snorkeling gear and it literally took an hour (that was just for me and two other girls) to get out wetsuits done. Don’t get me wrong, I’m SUPER pumped to go snorkeling but geez, it had better be worth the hour I spent trying to get these things on!

I’d like to give an early shout out to my prof Dr. M. She is EXACTLY what I want to be when I ‘grow up’ (so to speak). She’s quirky, fun and knowledgeable beyond her years. Not only that but she tries her best to relate to her students and explain things in ways that we’ll understand. Today, just to get into the swing of things, she took us down to the docks and pulled up some rocks from the bottom of the ocean. They were covered in amazing invertebrates and she had us name all the phyla that we saw. (I of course had a field day since taxonomy happens to be my strong suit. I think I impressed her! *wink*) But anytime we didn’t quite know what something was, she’d give us a small hint then ask us why we thought the animal was what it was. I really want to be that kind of prof! The kind of person who doesn’t just throw you the answer but makes you ask yourself why something is what it is. My favorite part of the day was when Dr. M poked a sea squirt and it squirted water all over one of my classmates’ face! I amazed to actually see a sea squirt; I thought they were much rarer than they actually are! Urochordates FTW.

Alrighty well I guess it’s time for this student to say goodnight! Class starts tomorrow morning and I’m more than ready to start learning! I’ll be posting so I hope you’ll be reading! Miss you all! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment