Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Day 0: Bath Tub Races, Drive By Fireworks & Dusty Gravel Roads



Hey Reader how's it going today? I'm currently at the Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre (as I mentioned I would be in my last post). I'm sitting comfortably in my bunk bed with my new roommate Holly sitting across from me. Things are going well so far and I can honestly say I'm not so nervous anymore. I am, however, tired out of my mind. And seriously, who wouldn't be after the trip I've had! I'm not joking you when I say that getting to Bamfield has got to be the craziest trek EVAR! So without further a do, here's a brief recap of my voyage out here.

I left home on Saturday and flew out to Vancouver. In Vancouver I had a small layover then flew on to Nanaimo. First of all flying from Vancouver to Nanaimo is now my favorite flight of all time! It took literally 15 minutes. Unfortunately the flight was on one of those Air Canada 'Jazz' planes so it felt like we were going to crash the entire time. I landed in Nanaimo and grabbed my luggage only to find my rolling suitcase was broken. Spectacular. Thank you Air Canada. So I hauled my super heavy bags to a taxi and we drove into the actual city of Nanaimo. I stayed the night in the quaint little city and found out that it was their annual 'Bath Tub Race' festival thing. Now what is a bath tub race you may be wondering. I'm still not sure I can answer that question. I watched for a bit and it honestly blew my mind. Grown people were literally rowing bathtubs down the bay.

After watching the locals make complete fools of themselves and after having been glared at for not being a local (for more info on glaring locals, read my entry 'Free and Easy Down the Road I Go'), I returned to the hotel and ordered a pizza. 'Best Caesar Salad in Town' said the add. So naturally I got a caesar salad as well. It was good but I've had better. Thank you Western Pizza! Anywho, I'm watching the Sopranos in my room when all of a sudden I hear what I believe to be gun shots. They turned out to be fireworks. I was quite relieved since I thought someone was committing a 'drive by shooting' at my hotel.

This morning I woke up, took the bus from Nanaimo to Port Alberni and then took the Bamfield shuttle bus. I kid you not, we were on a winding gravel road for an hour and a half with no view except dust and trees. Wow. That was an enjoyable ride. It was kind of funny though. Since it was so dusty we couldn't see what was coming around each corner and there were numerous trucks driving the opposite direction. There were several close calls and each time we'd sigh in relief. The driver knew what he was doing but we questioned whether he could actually see or whether he was just plain lucky.

Well Reader, that about sums up my last two days. I miss you all already. You have no idea how lonely I feel even though I've already made new friends. You guys are my family and you mean the world to me! As for living in Bamfield, I think I'm going to like it here! So far everyone seems really cool and pretty chill so that's always good! Lots of love my dear Reader, talk to you soon!

1 comment: