Saturday, September 3, 2011

Day 41: Alas Poor Bamfield, I Knew Thee Well

Well Reader here I am in the Vancouver International Airport, sitting alone, drinking my grande Passion Tea Lemonade (thank God for Starbucks) and writing this blog. It's been a long day so far and it's only half over. These six weeks have gone by way too fast. I can't believe it's actually over.


As I mentioned at the start of this journey, it's quite the hassle getting in and out of Bamfield and this morning was no exception. At 8:00am sharp (after a night of partying and rocking out to the local band) ten of us met up at the Bamfield Shuttle to get a ride into Port Alberni. There was only room for ten people on the shuttle, the others were either getting rides or were taking a different shuttle later on in the day. We said our goodbyes (holding back tears) and headed off. That gravel road is so winding and bumpy, it's a surprise we weren't all vomiting! But luckily none of us got car sick and we made it into Port just fine. The bus from Port Alberni to Nanaimo came at 10:30 and we all hopped on. Once in Nanaimo the ten of us went our separate ways with some people going to Vancouver on the ferry, some headed to Victoria on the bus or to the Nanaimo airport to catch flights off the island. It was so sad saying goodbye to everyone, I was nearly in tears. After living with people for six weeks straight, you become attached. My roommate Holly, who is actually from the same university as me, and I ended up at the Nanaimo Airport waiting for our respective flights. She had gotten on the 2:00pm flight and mine was the 4:00pm flight. Which basically meant I would have to sit in the Nanaimo airport (smaller than the Regina airport by the way) and do nothing for four hours. But for some reason the Air Canada guy decided to let me get on the earlier flight. So hooray! Now I'm in Vancouver waiting for my 6:45 flight. 


This was such an incredible experience. Who would've thought that a city girl like me could accomplish all that I've done over the past six weeks. I've camped, snorkelled, gone without showering, gotten my nails dirty AND even eaten pork (I know Reader, I'm scared too). I feel like I've grown (if even just a little bit) and I think I've learned somethings about myself that I didn't know before. I can say without a doubt that I will miss all the friends I've made at Bamfield and to those of them who've graduated, congrats. For me it's back to school on Wednesday but before that it's Orientation time! I'm really pumped!


Alright Reader! We did it! Six weeks worth of blogging and this is where it ends. I'm so grateful to all of you who've read this and followed my adventures out on the coast. It means the world to me! Thank you guys and I hope you'll keep up with me on my normal blog which I will be starting up again soon. Peace out my dear Reader! I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment