Hello Reader and welcome back to my musings (punctuation mark). I know you've all been in withdrawal without my blog for the weekend and who could blame you? It's quite amazing. But don't fret because I'm back for the week and it's been an eventful couple of days! (Yes that's right, I've got you addicted just like a drug or coffee or Dollar Drink Days...)
So this weekend was mostly just chillin and trying to catch up on much needed sleep! Friday night (as I mentioned) was karaoke at the local pub (yes THE local pub as there is only one pub). It was lots of fun and believe it or not the locals were actually pretty friendly! I know what you're thinking Reader. 'Victorialune, you said in one of your posts on LiveJournal that locals hate outsiders and that they're always glaring and what not.' Yes Reader I did indeed say that but these locals must be different. They are SO friendly! I think it's probably because the Bamfield students keep their businesses running throughout the summer! Either way I sang 'Don't Stop Believing' by Journey (a classic karaoke song) and a group of us sang some Back Street Boys. Oh yeah, living the dream.
Saturday a couple of us headed over to Brady's Beach and spent the afternoon lazing about. I went swimming in the ocean but my friends were too chicken to join me. I guess it's my norsk blood but that water just isn't as cold as everyone makes it out to be. We then laid in the sun, ate snacks and of course 'shuffled' on the beach. I would just like to say that I'm officially a pro at that dance. After the beach we walked the board walk on the west side. Again, SUPER friendly locals and good ice cream! It was such a fun afternoon! The evening was actually pretty chill. We were going to have a bonfire at Pachena Beach but everyone decided a night in would be a better idea. No big deal, I was exhausted from being in the sun all day.
Sunday was my Skype day. I talked to Jess and Reggie and my sibling (via the phone because she was too busy for Skype, I guess I'm just not that important to her). It was SO nice to hear from everyone and to see my friends faces again. I was a little homesick Sunday night but besides that it was a nice easy day.
Alright so finally we get to today and man there's a lot to say. You're in for the long haul here Reader. This morning at 8:00am half our class met up at the docks and the other half went to the lab. Our half of the class was going mud dredging first and we were going to switch with the other half after a couple hours. For those who don't know, by mud dredging I simply mean going out on a boat, lowering a net to about 80 metres and scooping up some mud. So John the Skipper took us out on the big boat (the Alta) and we went to Imperial Eagle (Eeeaaaggllee) Channel. There we dropped the net and began to scoop mud. When we hauled the net up I just couldn't believe my eyes! We dumped the mud in a basin and started digging through the goop to find invertebrates! Worms (of all kinds), heart urchins, Scaphapods (AMAZING molluscs that are not very common and very delicate), clams, shrimp, brittle stars, you name it! What a cool way to find rare inverts!
Unfortunately for the invertebrates, the humpback whales decided to interrupt us and steal the spot light from our spineless friends. I couldn't help but not care about our muddy friends when a huge humpback appeared on the horizon and Skipper John took us over. We watched for a good half an hour! They were incredible! Diving up and down, blowing water, flicking their tails and not afraid of the boat one bit! I'd never seen a wild whale before so I was indeed impressed! I wish we could've stayed all morning watching the whales but the other half of the class needed to do a dredge.
The rest of the day was spent in lecture and lab with our second prof who arrived last night, Dr. T. She will be teaching alongside Dr. M for the remainder of this week then she's taking over and Dr. M's leaving. So far Dr. T seems cool but I just LOVE Dr. M, I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle her leaving. Oh well, it's still going to be an amazing four more weeks! As always I love and miss you all! Thanks for keeping up with my oceanic adventures! <3 (Ps: Madi, I was the turkey all along.)
No comments:
Post a Comment