Oh Reader, all I can say is that it's been a very long day. The worst part is that I don't really have that much to tell you about! Oh well it's for the best since I have to wake up at 4:45am tomorrow. Might as well get this entry out of the way and head straight to bead!
So this morning I woke up with a terrible headache and a feeling of complete exhaustion. This exhaustion was probably partly due to the fact that we woke up at 5:15am but I think it was also just everything catching up to me. Either way I wasn't feeling 100% and unfortunately this morning was our second planned snorkelling trip. I put my bathing suit on, got all ready to go and headed down to the docks but by the time I got there I was only feeling worse. I told my profs and they said it was no problem if I missed this snorkelling excursion and that I could be the official chiton hunter for the day. (Chitons are a type of mollusc by the way.) So while everyone snorkelled off Ross Island, I indeed hunted for chitons and managed to find quite a few. We also saw another humpback whale and another little seal! By the time we got back I was still feeling a bit sick but it was nothing a hot shower couldn't fix. It felt SO good after being out in the cold all morning.
The rest of the day was again spent in lecture/lab. I didn't mind though since we're now doing molluscs (one of my favorite phyla). By the time 5:00pm rolled around I had accomplished so many things but I still had a limpet dissection to get done. Since supper wasn't until 6:00pm I figured "hey why not get this over with so I won't have to come back to the lab tonight". Unfortunately for me my lab partner was sick yesterday and the day before so she has fallen quite behind. She wasn't able to help with the limpet dissection because she was still on the phylum before molluscs. I didn't mind but it meant more work for me which meant more time would need to be taken. I got to work dissecting the limpet and all was going well until around 5:45pm. The pins I was using to hold down the organism were not cooperating and they kept coming loose. I had finally had enough and removed them all so that I could readjust the limpet and re-pin it. Unfortunately one of the rusty old pins went right into my left index finger. I was not impressed.
Now Reader, for those of you who read my LiveJournal blog (aka the blog where I usually post my non-Bamfield related entries), you'll know that I stepped on a thumbtack in April and debated on whether or not I needed a tetanus shot. I did not end up getting one in that particular situation. Well the same thing happened today. I immediately told my TA what had happened and she said that she'd call the nurse for me to get her opinion on the matter of whether I needed a tetanus shot or not. About fifteen minutes after I ate supper (around 6:45pm), my TA told me that the nurse wanted to give me a shot just in case. The thing about Bamfield is that a minor injury is considered a major injury since there are no doctors and they'd rather be safe than sorry (by sorry they mean me getting lockjaw and needing to be airlifted to Port Alberni via helicopter). Again for those who read my LiveJournal blog you'll know that I HATE needles with a passion. Well I had to suck it up because me and my TA went to the nurse's station and she gave me a tetanus shot. Needless to say I was scared out of my mind (I didn't cry though) and my left arm hurts really badly.
Alright well it's time for this tetanus surviver to get some shut eye. Early (WAY TOO EARLY) morning tomorrow and it's going to be a very long day on top of that. Field trip, lectures, lab, a seminar and studying for the quiz on Friday equals one tired Victorialune. Thanks for reading! Love and miss you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment