Monday, August 22, 2011

Day 29: A Whale of a Tale (yahon?)

Happy Monday Reader! I know, I know, there's no such thing as a happy Monday and that hit me hard today. Today was the first time since I've been out here that it has literally poured all day long. Rain and me don't get along so well and so far I've enjoyed the nice weather but today put me in a semi-bad mood. Only to be brightened by the fact that we started Echinoderms today (sea stars, cucumbers, urchins, etc.). But since I had such an AMAZING weekend, I'll be doing a small recap of Saturday and Sunday then talking about today (which is zero in comparison on the excitement scale).


Saturday was probably the nicest day we've had here. I think it was around 25 degrees and clear blue sunny skies! What a perfect beach day! So that's what we did! We gathered our gear, rowed across the inlet, bought some Coke (because there's nothing like a cold Coke on a hot beach, am I right) and hiked over to Brady's Beach. It was seriously one of my favorite days out here so far. We laid in the sun, shuffled on the beach and swam in the ocean (I stayed in for like two hours). The water was so clear and cold! Perfect for a Norsk gal like me! This was also the perfect time to try and correct my hideous boot tan. Unfortunately it was to no avail since the boot tan obviously can not be defeated. Oh well, it's still my claim to fame around Bamfield. We left the beach around 5:00pm (only because we wanted to eat supper). If it weren't for supper I would've stayed there all day and night.


Sunday morning I woke up bright and early and was on the docks for 7:00am. Why you might ask? WHALE WATCHING THAT'S WHY! Yes I was very excited since I'd never gone on an actual whale watching trip. Unfortunately it was one of the foggiest days on record. Our tour guy Skipper John (No not the one who quoted South Park, ANOTHER Skipper John. I think having the name John just might be a criteria for being a skipper. There seem to be a lot of them out there.) took us out into the foggy channel and we looked for whales for about an hour with no luck. Finally we got some visibility and right by the rocks of an island we saw a whale blow. We went over to the island and sure enough a grey whale was rolling around in the shallows, it's tail and body out of the water almost constantly! It was so incredible! We stayed and watched for a good forty minutes before we had to go. On the way home we stopped by a sea lion colony and oh my goodness, I almost had a fit! It was like Desmund city out there! They were SO cute! They were all barking and trying to stay on the rocks and growling at each other and all I could do was think of my little Desmund! Either way it was an incredible trip and for the foggiest day on record we sure got to see some incredible things! (By the way, does my entry title get me a yahon? At least a wow! Come on guys, be fair!)


Now for today. As I've mentioned several times now, we're done with class field trips and Dr. M is gone. Today was just lecture/lab/lecture/lab. Nothing too exciting. Then again we did start Echinoderms and they're always a party! For example, we got to see a Crinoid (sea lily) up close and personal! They are probably one of my favorite groups of inverts! They basically look like swimming plants! Take a peek at this YouTube link if you want to know what I'm talking about! Besides that we dissected a sea star (which I've done before) and got some more work done since our lab books are due at the end of this week. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlShDV4en_4


This is going to be one of those weeks where everything seems to be going by slowly but really time is just flying by. I have a feeling I'll be writing Friday's entry before I know it! Anyways thanks so much for hanging in there Reader! I really appreciate everyone who's continued to read my blog and who've had me in their thoughts! I love and miss you all as usual!

No comments:

Post a Comment