Monday, August 1, 2011

Day 8: Rock Climbing for Dummies

Hello Reader! Welcome back to my musings! Yes I know I've been away for a couple days and for that I apologize! You see I've decided that since we won't be in school on the weekends, I won't be blogging on the weekends. Although if something super cool should occur on said weekends (like it did this weekend) I will definitely bring it up in Monday's blog like I am about to do. So yes this Saturday was indeed the annual 'Salmon Derby Dance' at the local volunteer fire hall. Now to me a 'derby' sounds more like a race involving soap box cars and a steep hill but supposedly it's like the annual 'Fish Fry' in Estevan (a party like no other I might add). Basically who ever catches the biggest salmon wins the derby and the dance is like a celebration for the good catches. Who am I to complain? It was a chance to actually wear the dress I brought (I don't even know why I packed that thing)! We all went out to the dance and had a really fun time! There was about 70% Bamfield students, 10% volunteer fire people and 20% angry locals. But really Reader, what were you expecting? It's a small town, there's bound to be angry locals! Oh yes, the glaring was marvellous! I'm not trying to brag or anything but there was definitely a smoke machine and a light. Yes you read right, there was one light at this hall. Needless to say it was pretty much the best dance ever! No but seriously, it was super nice of the volunteer firehall to let us come to their party, despite the venue it actually was a real blast!


It's not all fun and games and Salmon Derbys out here Reader! Oh no! In fact today was one of the toughest (yet funnest) days I've had out here. We woke up for 6:00am (a real treat instead of the usual 5:00am) and we set out for Seppings Island which is about a twenty minute boat ride from Bamfield. We got to the isle and spent the better part of the next 6 hours climbing rocks. Now for those who don't know me that well, I'm not exactly what you'd call 'outdoorsy'. In fact some would call me 'indoorsy'. But today I think I proved everyone wrong! I climbed those sheer cliffs and rocky peaks and made it all the way around the island while only managing to fall once (and that was in a tide pool, not off the rocks). To make matters even crazier, we were rock climbing in rubber boots while wearing life jackets all the while carrying the amazing invertebrates we collected through out the day. I felt like a real mountain woman... Although these rocks were definitely not what one would call mountains. Either way, I felt pretty accomplished and let me just say that water had never tasted so good after a morning of intense climbing. 


I would also like to quickly mention the cave we explored. It was incredible! It was very small but it cut across the island and at high tide it would've been completely filled with water. It was so beautiful inside the cave and the fact that I could always see the other side of the cave made the experience that much more enjoyable (I've seen too many scary cave movies, not to mention ManBearPig enjoys hiding in caves). We saw giant limpets and isopods as well as mountains of snails all piled together. There were little tide pools inside of the cave all swarming with invertebrate life! 


After the six hours spent at Seppings, we made our way back to Bamfield for lunch and lecture. Nothing too exciting happened during the following few hours except I did an amazing diagram of a jellyfish. I don't know what's wrong with me Reader! First I'm becoming an 'outdoorsy' person and now I'm becoming an artist! Yikes! It must be something in the water! Well that's about it for me! It's off to bed because (as usual) it's up and at 'em bright and early tomorrow morning! As always I love and miss you all! Thanks again for reading! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment